gnue

Re: Compiere now #1 on sourceforge

From: cbbrowne
Subject: Re: Compiere now #1 on sourceforge
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 16:27:24 -0400

On Tue, 28 May 2002 13:13:21 PDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Todd Boyle <address@hidden>  said:
> Sorry for the crosspost, but, 257,000 downloads??
> http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/?group_id=29057
> http://www.compiere.org/

> Compiere ERP + CRM Business Solution is a large J2EE Java product
> requiring Oracle database).  I test drove it.  This is a serious,
> deep, extensive functionality, reflecting quite an extensive
> information model.  I am frankly, not competent to review it from a
> big-picture perspective and I'm worried whether the object hierarchies
> and conceptual models in Compiere are good or bad.

Part of the challenge in it is that it's a J2EE system, thus meaning
that it's only quasi-open-source.

It's not like Linux or PostgreSQL where you can run it with a free set
of software tools; you need to get J2EE licenses from SunSoft, and a
port to PostgreSQL won't change that.

I find it _very_ curious that it has attracted that number of downloads,
unless it's just that a bunch of people have decided to download it to
see a bit about what it's about, and then basically conclude "I don't
want to get into the grief of configuring a J2EE environment," and drop
it.  That's been my reaction to it...
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/nonrdbms.html