gnue

Re: Compiere now #1 on sourceforge

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: Compiere now #1 on sourceforge
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 20:31:36 -0700

> As for the GPL, as long as software is under some Free Software
> license, such as MPL 1.1, it is acceptable for use in my eyes. Except
> Derek Neighbors has expressed some problems with it; what do you mean?
> I do not believe it is legal to revoke the MPL. However, actually
> contributing to a project that may be closed is a waste of resources.

This is correct the MPL is free software so it certainly falls under the
'usable' category.  However, it is not a strong copyleft license which
would make submitting code to it not the wisest decision (imho).  It
also is not GPL compatiable which means anything written under it can
not be used with 85% of the software in our community (GPL).  Even an
ultra greed driven company like AOL/Time Warner was convinced the MPL
was not the best way to write software they were not interested in
taking private.  (thus a dual license MPL/GPL of mozilla).

-derek