gnue

Re: [GNUe] GNUe in actual production use?

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [GNUe] GNUe in actual production use?
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:35:37 +0200

Am Montag, den 09.10.2006, 13:18 +0200 schrieb Joost Helberg:
> I don't think the concept of a `mode' is the best thing to do.
> Entering data and only then deciding what to do is pretty standard for
> most people.

The point is: the question whether you are in data entry mode or in
search mode can change the behaviour of the form. For example, a field
in a form might be read-only (and thus no input allowed) in data entry
mode, but it might make sense to search for that field in query mode.

> But this means that the user doesn't see the database-defaults while
> entering data, the user will only see these after inserting. That's a
> bit late, as the user may have entered (superfluously) data where
> defaults would have worked too (or even better).

Are you aware of any portable way of finding out the database-defaults
of a given table? Remember that the actual INSERT at the backend happens
on saving the record, not on clicking on the "new record" icon, because
we want on-insert triggers on the backend to run not too early.

> Cool, I'll upgrade one of these days.

If you have troubles with the update, please let us know. I'm online in
IRC most of the days.

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Mueller