Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: New move generator

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: New move generator
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 09:17:35 -0700

Gunnar wrote:

> > I have started to worki on the move valuation to make that more
> > accurate.  The first step is to be more precis in valuation of
> > attacked worms.  Not only the worm itself, but also our own worms and
> > dragons saved by attacking the worm are now included in the
> > valuation.  I will carry the same ideas to defended worms and to
> > attacked/defended dragons.
>
> This approach I don't believe in at all. If the move also saves one of
> our worms it already should have a move reason for this and you would
> get a double valuation with this patch. Please show me one example
> where this patch improves the valuation.
>
> The main problem with the evaluation of attack moves is that the
> effective_size measure is too inaccurate. This may be possible to
> solve by modifying the interaction with the influence code, which I
> intend to attempt shortly.

Since it appears that this part of Inge's patch is controversial,
I made a shortened version of it which omits the changes to
estimate_territorial_value and estimate_strategical_value,
and the function attacked_worm_value. This shortened patch
is posted as inge_1_12.2. I'm running the regressions on it now.

> You didn't run the regressions overnight by chance? I'm still
> interested in seeing what happens on the full set. I've just started a
> run on third_batch for your patch.

Do you have the results of the regressions on the version in CVS?
As I posted earlier, I only have these with the dfa enabled.