[gnugo-devel] move valuation

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: [gnugo-devel] move valuation
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:12:20 +0100 (CET)

I have another very general question about GnuGo's move valuation.

There are basically two ways two asign a value to a move, I think the
technical terms are miai counting and deiri counting. The first compares
the value of the position before the move was made with the value
of the position after the move was made; the other is to compare the value
of the position after a black move with the value of the position
after a white move played in the same area.
If everything is gote, the second way produces values that are twice
as high.

If I do not misunderstand the code, GnuGo is inconsistent here.
Moves that (OWL-)attack or defend a dragon XYZ produce a value of
2 * dragon[XYZ].effective_size. Unless the opponent can save/kill the
respective dragon in sente, this is deiri counting.
OTOH, influence_delta_territory clearly uses miai counting.

Am I missing something?

-Arend