Re: [gnugo-devel] move valuation

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] move valuation
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 21:10:03 +0100

Inge wrote:
> Not in principle, but in Gnu Go it does.  What Gnu Go does *not* do is
> to check wether *one* certain move destroys the followup potential of
> *another* point.

Yes, it does. E.g. patterns EE106 and EE402.

> That is what happens in a general double sente
> position.  If I play here, not only do I have a big followup, it also
> destroys the opponents chance to get his point and his followup.

That a move destroys the followup for the opponent means exactly that
it has a reverse followup value. Whether the opponent would have
played on a different vertex is irrelevant.

> On the other hand if the same point has a great followup and reverse
> followup value, we recognize it, since naturally the opponent can't
> play on an already occupied point.

If what you want to say is that it's harder to identify
reverse followup_values than followup_values I agree. But this is not
specifically about double sente. Reverse sente has exactly the same
problem.

/Gunnar