Re: [gnugo-devel] PATCH: Marginal eye points with opponent stones in eye

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] PATCH: Marginal eye points with opponent stones in eyes.db
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 09:34:03 +0100

Inge wrote:
> Well, the subject says it all.  Here is a patch that implements
> support for marginal eye points with opponent stones in eyes.db.  The
> change was surprisingly simple to make, but the big job is to get all
> the patterns that use it correct.  I chose the character '$' for it.
> I would have preferred '#', but that was already taken by the comment
> character.

I think 'Y' would be a good alternative.

Dan wrote:
> Could you give an example where this is needed?

The two most interesting cases are covered by test cases
optics:312,325. Currently those are handled by linear_eye_space().
After Inge's patch all the 300+ lines of code in linear_eye_space()
can be replaced by eye patterns.

This has been discussed previously, see
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnugo-devel/2001-October/000060.html

The question whether we have all needed patterns in eyes.db should
today be easier to settle thanks to the test_eyeshape() functionality.
This is currently limited to closed eyeshapes, but once it works with
marginal eyespaces we should be able to get definite answers.

/Gunnar