Re: [gnugo-devel] Half and false eye with ko.

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Half and false eye with ko.
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:01:52 -0500

I think Gunnar's original message had the topology values for
diagrams a & b off by 1.

>    .X..
>(a) .XOO  (This diagonal adds 2)
>    OO.O
>    O.OO  (This diagonal adds 0.5)
>    XOX.
>    .X..
top. eye value 2.5

>    .X..
>(b) ..OO  (This diagonal adds 1)
>    OO.O
>    O.OO  (This diagonal adds 0.5)
>    XOX.
>    .X..
top. eye value 1.5

>     .X..
>(b') ..OO  (This diagonal adds 1)
>     OO.O
>     OXOO  (This diagonal adds 1.5)
>     X.X.
>     .X..
top. eye value 2.5

>Notice that while (b') is a 2.5 topological eye, (b) is a real eye
>regardless of ko.

So, b is a real eye.  b' & a are both better than 1/2 eye.

So I don't think the analysis is messy, but rather quite clean.
(I'm not sure though, that 1/2 is the best value to assign to the
ko.  1/3 or 2/3 might be more appropriate - more later on this).

-Trevor