Re: [gnugo-devel] Gothic: Qt windows licensing

From: Tanguy Urvoy
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Gothic: Qt windows licensing
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:02:06 +0100

Hello,

Teun Burgers wrote:

> Looking at the Qt site, I found that you
> can download the X11 version (all 16Mbytes of it)
> for free.
> The windows version however only for a 30 day
> trial, after which I assume you have to pay.

I took a look of trolltech web site.
http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/noncomm.html
This time limitation is for Qt 3.0, Gothic is based on
Qt 2.3

> My question is whether we can make a
> free opensource GUI for windows with Qt.

The x11 version of Gothic will be GPL (Qt for X11 is also GPL).
But a Win32 version of Gothic cannot be "full" GPL, we must add an
exeption to the license as described here:
http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qt-win-noncomm.html
and here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

A good new:
Antony, Florian, Thomas and Sebastien
told me that a GTP communication between gnugo and Gothic
is (almost) ready.
It only uses GTP 1.0 commands for graphical display.
Gnugo specific commands will be available though GTP shell.

Tanguy Urvoy http://www.irisa.fr/prive/Tanguy.Urvoy/