Re: [gnugo-devel] owl.c question

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] owl.c question
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:14:07 +0100

Arend wrote:
> So the specification would be that such a helper is allowed to decrease the
> pattern value? (This is what I guess from the code.)

The real truth is that that piece of code most likely was copied from
the corresponding code in shapes.c some time during 2.7.xxx. I don't
think the ability to modify the pattern value (other than down to
zero) is very interesting. Sometimes I have wanted to be able to use a
helper to generate a different move (typically of the back-filling
variety) than the one marked in the pattern, though.

> Another question: There are a few patterns with class b or B in
> owl_attack_pats.db.

Those are bogus.

> I cannot find documentation on this.

It's documented at the head of owl_defendpats.db:

# B  :  This move is not connected to the goal dragon and should
#       therefore not be included in the goal.
#
# b  :  This move is maybe not connected to the goal dragon and should
#       therefore be included only after closer examination.

> They set the same_dragon variable. Is this used at all for owl
> attacking moves?

No, it doesn't apply to attacking moves.

/Gunnar