[gnugo-devel] Re: [gtp] gothic 0.6.5

From: Tanguy URVOY
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Re: [gtp] gothic 0.6.5
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:28:12 +0100

Daniel Bump wrote:

> Mike Cumpstey wrote:
>
> > While trying to figure out why gnugo (version 3.0.0) sometimes overruns
> > the time control, I spotted a small bug in the Autolevel system. In
> > function estimate_time_by_move() the line
> >
> >     res += coef[i] * (clk.date[move-9+i] - clk.date[move-10+i]);
> >
> > needs to be changed to
> >
> >     res += coef[i] * (clk.date[move-9+i*2] - clk.date[move-10+i*2]);
> >
> > in order to calculated an average time per move of it own moves rather
> > than a mixture of own and opponents.
>
> Tanguy, do you agree with this?
>
> Dan

Yes this is a bug, the clk.date[] array stores the date of each move
played.
The time spent by a player is the difference between the date of his
push
on the clock and its opponent's push date. The move counter is
incremented at each
push. (the undo effect may be strange).

The autolevel system is only able to reduce the level when gnugo is
late,
this does not garantee that gnugo will respect the time allowed.

A solution would be to modify genmove to insure that gnugo plays
instaneous moves when
at level zero or to add a deadline date as argument of genmove.

Tanguy Urvoy http://www.irisa.fr/prive/Tanguy.Urvoy/