speedups (was: Re: [gnugo-devel] Timing data)

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: speedups (was: Re: [gnugo-devel] Timing data)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:52:14 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Daniel Bump wrote:

> Arend wrote:
>
> > OTOH, I think there are still some speed-ups we can do in the short term.
>
> What do you have in mind?

1. Owl patterns should have a classification that can tell
   "constraint is quick to evaluate". In this case, the constraint should
   be evaluated before owl_safe_move is called. Consider e.g. VA24:

Pattern VA24
# gf New pattern. (3.1.14)

X*           capture inside eyespace, not ko

:-,-,value(76)

A*

;lib(A)==1 && owl_eyespace(*,A) && olib(*) > 0

   which gets matched geometrically quite often.

   Maybe I'll do that today, it's only 5 lines of code plus selecting the
   patterns.

2. I think pop_owl would be basically unnecessary if the owl_data is
   directly written to and read from the stack. That'd save 3%. (I haven't
   really checked whether this would work.)

3. The "Enhanced Transposition Cutoff" (that I briefly described in
   http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnugo-devel/2002-February/001337.html)
   for the reading code and possibly also owl should also be doable. The
   save could be anything between 5% and 25%.

Arend