Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl persistent cache

From: Inge Wallin
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl persistent cache
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:27:37 +0100 (MET)

Dan wrote:
> For a good game played today, see ossofied-gnugo-3.1.26-200203010317.sgf.
> I wonder if Gunnar had applied his patch before this game or not.
> Much of the game is played at lower levels, even down to levels 1
> or 2 and there are some big mistakes but on the whole it's a
> pretty good game. Note how when ossofied plays inside GNU Go's
> territory at the end of the game GNU Go answers all his moves quite
> reasonably.

Is the autolevel feature tuneable?  It would be pity if GNU Go uses
settings for one machine when playing on another.  Good input to such
a tuning function would be reading nodes per second and owl nodes per
second (if such a measure would mean anything).

Per game parameters could be owl nodes per second the last n moves
(depending on the complexity of the situation), and maybe other
measurements that are dependent on the current position.

After all, the main idea behind autolevel is to use the available time
optimally, and it is very different how much you can achieve during a
given time on different hardware.  It might also differ on the same
hardware given different cache sizes.

        -Inge