Re: [gnugo-devel] Algorithms used in GnuGo and overall design

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Algorithms used in GnuGo and overall design
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 07:48:03 -0800

> I have yet to actually download GnuGo so hopefully this isn't one of the
> dumbest questions to ask, but..
> I'm wondering if there are any documents which give an overview or list
> of the algorithms and methods used in the AI of GnuGo, as well as the
> overall structure of the program? I'm researching computer Go for a
> final year project at the moment and am just looking into what
> algorithms are accepted as necessary by most Go computer programs.

Yes, the algorithms are documented.

The postscript documentation for GNU Go runs to about 200 pages.
The doc is in Texinfo format but can be converted into postscript
(and hence into pdf) or into html.

The documentation is currently under revision, and has been
changed in the CVS even since GNU Go 3.1.27 was put up last
week. There will be further revisions before 3.1.28 goes up.
The doc revision will have to stabilize before 3.2 is released
in (hopefully) April.

Another resource you might want to consult is Markus
Enzenberger's computer go bibliography at:

http://www.markus-enzenberger.de/compgo_biblio.html

Daniel Bump