Re: [gnugo-devel] some question

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] some question
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:43:40 -0800

> This is my first time to post messege on gnugo-devel maillist.
> But I have subscribed the mail list for a long time.
> I am very interested with computer go.
> I read throught the gnugo's code and  yestoday.
> I am very shocked. There is not any search algorithm using in gnugo?

GNU Go uses search to investigate questions of life and death, semeai
and connections. See owl.c and reading.c. Search is built into the pattern
database through the autohelpers. All of this is local search, designed to
find the answer to a particular question (can this group live), not global
search.

> I think that the good comupter go program must has a simple but effcient
> core(search engine), and an accurate evaluation function based on mathematic
> model. Not like gnugo it is big and slow, full of patchs and many "simple"
> bugs.
> It is hard to maintain and extend.

Global search is pointless if at the terminal modes the evaluation
of life and death is wrong.

> You have paid many time on it. Why not use more to think, less to code.

Have you written a go program?