Re: [gnugo-devel] Bug in 3.0.0

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Bug in 3.0.0
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:55:56 +0100

Przemo wrote:
> I'm the administrator of PlGS Go server. I installed gnugo 3.0.0 and let the
> users play with it. For few days it behaves strangely, it crashes.

Does it crash randomly or only when trying to load a specific game? Is
the crash consistently reproducible?

> I attach the log from gnugoclient (used to connect gnugo to the
> server).

Which version of gnugoclient? Does it have any local modifications?

> The suspicious game start around line 1643 (in my opinion).

Agreed.

> As the sgf was not created, I can only attach the fragment of sgf
> file, which was saved as "stored" game (attached).

What program saved it as "stored"? If you have set savebasepath to
something reasonable in GnugoConfig.h, gnugoclient should have written
a good sgf file there. Anyhow, the log file you sent includes the
entire set of gtp commands leading up to the crash, so it should
suffice to reproduce the crash. However, I don't get a crash with
3.0.0, so there's something bad going on here. Therefore we need some
more input:

* What platform (hardware, OS, compiler) are you using?
* Have you modified GNU Go 3.0.0 in any way?
* Did you use any interesting configure flags when building it?
* Can you reproduce the crash by saving the commands below in a file
  crash.gtp and then run "gnugo --quiet --mode gtp < crash.gtp"?
* If it crashes, would you be able to run it in gdb to get a
  backtrace? It may sometimes be easier to get a useful backtrace if
  you first set a breakpoint at abortgo.

Thanks for the report.

/Gunnar

1 boardsize 19