[gnugo-devel] handicap problem

From: Morten Gulbrandsen
Subject: [gnugo-devel] handicap problem
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:43:18 +0100

Hello,
  I use,

GNU Go Version 3.0.0

cgoban version 1.9.7 by William Shubert - 13 July 1999

Linux debian 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i686 unknown

I select go modem
white player human
black player  Program

ok

rules set japanese
time system canadian

Board size  7
Handicap 2

ok

and then the board appears, without any handicap stones
the clock runs, gamer start black to play, but nothing happens.

When the time is out
it enters Byo-Yomi mode  20 stones in 1 minute , or anything else,

after main time has made a count down and Byo - Yomi time
has made a count down to 0 no indication, that White can do anything.

I'd like to test gnugo  with a board number from 2 through 38,

With handicap stones . scaling from 0 to full board.

I'd like to find non trivial plays for 5 x 5 board sizes, and larger.

cgoban says it can handle boerd sizes as large as 38 x 38,
a cgoban error says it can permit games as large as 22 x 22,

I can't start a 22 x 22 game at all.

What kind of scaling and handicap stones are allowed ?

I know that 9 x9  13 x 13  and 19 x 19 are common,
with 4  to 9 handicap stones.

But I'd like to examine 5 x 5 games with handicap stones.

Is this possible ?

I'd like to find some kind of relationship between scaling and
handicap stones placed randomly which makes gnugo unbeatable.

on a 19 x 19 board I can give gnugo 9 handicap stones, but no more.
13  handicap stones woun't do.

Yours Sincerely

Morten Gulbrandsen