Re: [gnugo-devel] GTP command for "next move in SGF file"

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GTP command for "next move in SGF file"
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:20:52 -0500 (EST)

Trevor wrote:

> After a GTP command like:
>
> loadsgf games/trevor/auto/c18.sgf 102
>
> It would be useful (for the HTML views, in particular) to be able to issue
> something like:
>
> next_move_in_sgf_file
>
> This way, it would be easy for the controller to display the move actually
> made
> in the original file, which is often useful for understanding the point of a
> given
> problem.  I sometimes find that for a problem that looked obvious, GNU Go
> comes up with a plausible alternative solution.  In these cases, it would give
> some comfort to know that GNU Go's original move was worse than the current
> one.

Very true! Often regression tests seem pretty wrong or at least dubious,
and if one looks at the .sgf-file, one realizes that the original problem
has long disappeared. This would make updating of regression tests much
smoother.

> Perhaps a more generic GTP command like:
>
> querysgf games/trevor/auto/c18.sgf 103
>
> would make more sense?
What about:

loadsgf  games/trevor/auto/c18.sgf 103
=
undo
=L1

That would avoid introducing another command or more .sgf-related global
variables, but it would change an existing GTP v2 command. Hmm.

Arend