[gnugo-devel] GNU Go 3.3.11 installation report on Mac OS X

From: Rodney Topor
Subject: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go 3.3.11 installation report on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:22:34 +1000

I just downloaded and installed GNU Go 3.3.11 under Mac OS X 10.1.5. By following the instructions in the INSTALL file, everything went perfectly except for one glitch. When doing make inside the regression directory, the file eval3.sh was requires but was not presented. I created an empty file called eval3.sh and all seemed well after that. (Admittedly I didn't notice the option to include for compiling on Mac OS X until after I'd started, but I don't think that was relevant to this problem.)

The instructions didn't mention Goban (www.sente.ch/software/goban/) nor how to run GNU Go inside it. But after contacting the Goban developer for advice, I was able to do this. (The trick is adding the options "--quiet --mode gtp --gtp-version 1". In the next version of Goban, it will apparently only be necessary to add "--quiet --mode gtp".)

Great program!

Rodney Topor
Brisbane, Australia