Re: [gnugo-devel] DFA space savings

From: Dave Denholm
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] DFA space savings
Date: 07 Nov 2002 16:44:53 +0000

Trevor Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> http://www.public32.com/games/go/trevor_3_12.3
>
>   - new struct dfa_rt_t allows different run-time DFA structure from
> build-time
>   - reduces executable size by 10%

The runtime structure probably doesn't need maxStates, lastState,
maxIndexes,lastIndex
Or at least, I didn't bother to have them in the version I was playing with.

Probably worth making the state and index arrays const - no effect on executable
size, but core files will be smaller since (I assume) system won't write
const data into core file.

Out of interest, did you measure speed and space-saving by just making next[]
an array
of short rather than array of int ?

Is it really both faster and smaller to store two char's and combine them,
rather
than using one short ?