[gnugo-devel] .dsp and .dsw files

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: [gnugo-devel] .dsp and .dsw files
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:30:40 +0200

while i was working under windows, i constantly had problems with .dsp and
.dsw files. when i downloaded any file using cvs (wincvs), its line ends were
automatically converted to windows format: from a standard LF to CR, LF used
in dos/windows. this was ok for all files except for .dsp and .dsw ones,
which had windows-style ended lines on server. so, in my copy i had lines
ended with CR, CR, LF and they confused visual studio.

here is an excerpt from cvs texinfo documentation:

  File: cvs.info,  Node: Binary howto,  Prev: Binary why,  Up: Binary files

  How to store binary files
  =========================

     There are two issues with using CVS to store binary files.  The
> first is that CVS by default converts line endings between the
> canonical form in which they are stored in the repository (linefeed
> only), and the form appropriate to the operating system in use on the
> client (for example, carriage return followed by line feed for Windows
> NT).

so, the question is: do we need windows-style line ends in those files on
server? i don't know what cvs program Trevor uses, but he told me he never
had such problems. however, the documentation claims that _any_ cvs program
should perform such conversion (by default).

Paul