Re: [gnugo-devel] reading problem

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] reading problem
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:14:11 +0100 (CET)

Hi Nando,

> Around line 5509 of reading.c following can be found
>
>   /* ...and store it in the cache.
>    * FIXME: Only store result in cache when we're working at
>    * full depth.
>    *
>    * Comment: This is currently not a problem since no reduced depth
>    * reading is performed.
>    */
>
> Well, about the above comment, I would say it isn't true. There's a
>
>   decrease_depth_values();

I don't think this should lead to corrupted cache entries. We do store
"depth - stackp" in the cache data, and if this doesn't match, the cache
entry is ignored.
        (Actually, I think we should change this policy: If it
        doesn't match, the old result should at least be used as a hint,
        i.e. should be the first move to try. And if the old result was
        read out at higher depth settings, we might as well just believe
        the result.)

What you are observing might be a persistent cache effect, otherwise I
have no idea.

To find out which pattern caused the difference you can try "-d0x1"
(generates A LOT OF debug output), and make a diff between the two
output files. Maybe you can then track it down further. Unfortunately,
these things are a little hard to debug.

Arend