Re: [gnugo-devel] always init_board()

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] always init_board()
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:59:45 +0100 (CET)

Paul wrote:

> > Here is a 3% speedup pretty much for free.
(...)
> > So instead we always call init_board() from new_position(). This makes
> > board.o 1K smaller btw.
> >
> > Arend
>
> interesting. i tried this some weeks ago and surprisingly got a slowdown by
> around 0.3 - 0.5%. i hadn't a clue of the reason, so i just buried the
> changes. maybe it was because of windows (i used it then)?

No idea. I can just say that my results were very reproducable (i.e. I
got a consistent difference of around 3%, and the individual runs varied
only by around 0.1%).

Did you use reading.tst for measuring? According to a mail from Inge I
once found in the archives, GNU Go spends most time playing through the
.sgf-files for that test suite (and for this the old code is faster).

Arend