Re: [gnugo-devel] Scoring Error

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Scoring Error
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 22:58:43 +0100

Stephen123 wrote:
> It looks to me like the Gnu Go player understood the situation
> correctly when it passed, but the scoring algorithm seems to have
> made an error.
> [...]
> AP[MacGNUGo:3.2]
> RE[You Win! +42.5]

Yes, GNU Go 3.2 gets the result wrong in two out of three scoring
modes, although not the same result as reported in the game record.

sulitelma:~/gnugo/gnugo-3.2/interface> ./gnugo --quiet -l ~/gnugo/stephen1.sgf
--score estimate

B seems to win by 8.5 points
sulitelma:~/gnugo/gnugo-3.2/interface> ./gnugo --quiet -l ~/gnugo/stephen1.sgf
--score end

B seems to win by 8.5 points
sulitelma:~/gnugo/gnugo-3.2/interface> ./gnugo --quiet -l ~/gnugo/stephen1.sgf
--score aftermath
153 white (O) move : PASS!
154 black (X) move : PASS!
White wins by 11.5 points

Current development versions get the correct result in all modes.

Unfortunately I can't check what MacGNUGo does since the source only
seems to be available as a .sit archive file, which I haven't found
any way to read with a free program on a unix machine. Since MacGNUGo
seems to have introduced several bugs not present in the original GNU
Go it may be more useful to direct bug reports for that port to its
author.

/Gunnar