Re: [gnugo-devel] address@hidden: GnuGo v3.2]

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] address@hidden: GnuGo v3.2]
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 21:05:41 +0100

Stefan Mertin wrote (message forwarded by Dan):
> but in my ComputerGoTournament I played all the games with GnuGo 3.0.0
> and meanwhile I have continiued with a lot of very interesting
> results from v 3.2 which I hope to publish next on my site.

I'm looking forward to see those.

> Today I want just send you two games,
> where this version seems to have a bug:
> you may test if these strange things still happen with the newest version,
> or perhaps even only occur with the Windows-executable.
>
> If you think it might be worth looking after it:
>
> GNHT2w13.sgf
>    "Gnu Go is thinking..." very much too long for move 47!
>    (280 minutes on level 15!!)

Basically levels above 10 are untested and may or may not increase the
strength. We can't even guarantee that they ever return a move.

In this case the engine (tested with 3.3.12) seems to get lost in
complicated tactical reading while searching for combination attacks.
It may be worth investigating whether there are ko issues involved
there.

> GNMF3b10.sgf
>    GnuGo v3.2 crashes at move 123

This is a known bug in 3.2 which was fixed early in the 3.3.x series.
The patch is available in
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnugo-devel/2002-June/002180.html

/Gunnar