[gnugo-devel] Re: Many Faces of Go for a newbie?

From: bump
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Re: Many Faces of Go for a newbie?
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 20:39:34 -0800

that has been posted to rec.games.go as well.

Reticulum posted:

> I'm intrigued, but a little clueless after visiting the web-sites. Can you
> just
>post an easy-to-follow- set of "dwnld this, download that" ?? I want to
>run under Win95.

Nick Wedd advised:

> Visit
> http://www.intelligentgo.org/en/computer-go/programs/seeprogform.php
>Then select the operating system and the status of the Go-playing program
> that you want.  So you might check "Dos" and "Windows", and "Open Source",
> "Free" and "Free to use".  Then click "List Programs".

This turns out to be bad advise, in fact very bad. It
brings up:

http://www.intelligentgo.org/en/computer-go/programs/seeprogform.php?dos=y&win=y&opso=y&free=y&ufrr=y&submit=List+programs

Obsolete versions of GNU Go are listed here without reference to
the version number!

There seem to be NO links to current versions, such as GNU Go 3.2!

GNU Go 3.2 is about 5 stones stronger than 2.6. These links
should be taken down and replaced with correct ones.

The best link for a current Window's binary is to Trevor
Morris' page at:

http://www.public32.com/games/go/

If you are running Mac OS X you want Sente Software's Goban:

http://www.sente.ch/software/goban/

If you are running OS 9 you want:

http://www1.u-netsurf.ne.jp/~future/HTML/macgnugo.html

If you root around on the Intelligent Go Foundation page
you will find links purporting to be "GNU Go developers"
and "Programmer of gnugo" but they are nothing of the
sort. There is not a single link to the Free Software
Foundation's GNU Go pages.

Links to "GNU Go developers" and "GNU Go programmers"
should cite:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/gnugo.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/devel.html

Incidentally, the first link contains a fairly exhaustive
collection of links to freely licensed software related
to Go.

Daniel Bump