Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo --level (fwd)

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo --level (fwd)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:16:39 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

> I have a question according to the --level option of GnuGo. Is there an upper
> limit of this option? I recently noticed, that by increasing the level to
> e.g. 15, GnuGo seems to reads deeper and of course is slower, than at default
> level 10. I bought myself a new computer, and therefor I would like to know
> how I can increase the strength of the software!

There is no upper limit to the --level option. However, levels above 10 are
almost untested, and the honest answer is: We don't even know whether
increasing the level beyond 10 gives a measurable improvement in strength.

You could try to experiment with that yourself using twogtp in
interface/gtp_examples, and playing a match between, say, GNU Go at level 10
and GNU Go at level 13.

Arend