[gnugo-devel] Master Thesis and Oracle/Metamachine

From: Måns Ullerstam
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Master Thesis and Oracle/Metamachine
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 16:30:19 +0100

I am interested in writing my Master Thesis about Go. My goal is to go
to Japan next fall and work with my Master Thesis and study Go at the
same time.

My focus areas are Artificial Intelligence, Reinforcement Learning and
Genetic Algorithms. I have worked in the Gnugo project and the idea is
to use Gnugo as the basis for my work and try different interesting AI
approaches to enhance the level of play.

I have heard that there is some research going on in Japan with Go and
hopefully someone on this list can help me finding a project or research
group interested in my skills.

BTW, I am now looking into the code again, after being away for a while.
I am very interested in how to play around with the Oracle and the
Metamachine. I have tried to add --decide-oracle and --metamachine to
the command line when starting Gnugo, but nothing seems to happen. I
have tried to trace the output and turned on the debugging for the
oracle, but nothing happens. Can anyone explain how this is being used
in Gnugo today, and how to turn it on.

Thanks / Mans Ullerstam, Sweden