Re: [gnugo-devel] Parallelizing GNU Go

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Parallelizing GNU Go
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 01:58:33 +0300

Dan wrote:
> > so, if you ask me, i'm against this. forking gnugo is another deal since
> > it doesn't touch the engine much (if at all). it's not very portable, but
> > i don't think you'll find many users out there who are eager to have
> > paralleled gnu go at all.
>
> On the other hand, suppose that by parallelizing GNU Go
> you could obtain a much stronger engine that would only
> run on expensive hardware. I think that would be very
> interesting and not completely out of the question.

i would say that such an engine would be a separate project. i'll
never believe (unless you prove it with files ;) that we can keep
it together with gnu go as it is now and just split them with
`configure' when compiling.

i dread to think of gnu go going to run only on "expensive hardware".
i strongly believe _this_ project must never go that way.

Paul