Re: [gnugo-devel] chinese-japanese counting difference of more than 10 p

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] chinese-japanese counting difference of more than 10 points
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 18:11:33 +0200

Dan wrote:
> I see you sent it to me personally instead of
> gnugo-devel. I'm copying it to the list. I would guess the
> explanation has something to do with the situation on the
> right side.

No, it's much simpler than that. The game started out with 9 handicap
stones. White initially passed 3 times to make it 12 stones. In the
endgame white passed another two times while black was filling dame.
This makes a total of 14 free stones for black and the score
difference is W+5.5 (territory) vs B+8.5 (area), i.e. 14 points.

Now it's possible that white should get compensation for the handicap
stones under Chinese scoring, at least

http://www.britgo.org/rules/compare.html

indicates that this is the case. Now, should this compensation be 9 or
12 points in this game?

/Gunnar