Re: [gnugo-devel] Weird end of game behaviour on a 9x9 game

From: Marco Scheurer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Weird end of game behaviour on a 9x9 game
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 14:33:23 +0200

I just played a 9x9 game against Gnugo 3.2 at level 10,
and at the end of the game it passed when it should have
played one more stone to secure its territory.

I attacked and destroyed a very large area.

I have attached the whole game, thinking it might be of some interest
to you guys: I thought it strange that it misread something that simple
(end of game situation with pretty much everything else settled)

Cheers,

I see that you played using Goban, and that you used undo, and I'm affraid this is the origin of the problem: there is no "redo" in Goban. If you undo and then go down the move branch you just undid, moves are not replayed by GNU Go. The result is that GNU Go is playing on a different board than what you see.

This is obviously a flaw in Goban and we'll fix that providing a proper "redo", and detect and forbid these situations. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Marco Scheurer
Sen:te, Lausanne, Switzerland    http://www.sente.ch