Re: [gnugo-devel] very specific defense pattern

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] very specific defense pattern
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:02:02 +0000

Evan wrote:
> I believe that we are discussing a tactical defense pattern.  These
> patterns are rather special, in that they are only checked at stackp == 0,
> and are only tried in cases where they are needed (ie, defense patterns
> are only tried for potentiall attackable strings, and vice versa).  So, it
> makes sense to try this defense any time the 1st line stone is attackable
> and no other times; a constraint to enforce this is unneeded because of
> the way the patterns get used.  Of course, I could be misremembering here,
> it's been a while since I looked at that code.

Evan is right.  you may look at function defense_callback() in `worm.c'.
it checks whether a string is attackable and whether the proposed move
does indeed defend it.  so, there is no need to duplicate it in the
constraint.  note that unlike in many other databases, most patterns
in `defense.db' don't have constraints.

Paul