Re: [gnugo-devel] Web page - qGo client

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Web page - qGo client
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 18:56:22 -0800

Emmanuel Beranger wrote:

> This quick word just to mention that now, qGo is no longer a simple "client
> / sgf viewer", but it is also a gnugo client.
>
> you could post qGo as :
> "Full featured Client for Go server, SGF viewing / editing, and Gnugo
> client. Runs on Windows and Linux platforms. Can play One Color Go (!)"

OK, I updated the qGo description. The change to gnugo.html is
made in the web cvs and will eventually get updated to www.gnu.org.
(Hopefully by the time you read this.)

> BTW : I have no clue whatsoever as what is the highest level to which Gnugo
> can play.
> By default, most client set it to 10, but I have heard that the highest
> level was 12.
> When setting it, you can put any integer (1000000 !) without any complains
> (but either, with no clue as to the actual strenght)
> I did not find anything in the doc with regard to this issue.

GNU Go is tuned at level 10. At higher levels, various depths
are increased and the program slows down. On fast hardware,
Level 12 works OK and was used in the Computer Olympiad last
summer. This is the only tournament where GNU Go did not play
at level 10. Testing before the CGF tournament where GNU
Go got an 850Mh machine Hiroshi Yamashita decided
that Level 12 was too slow and used Level 10 in that
tournament.  Level 15 was used in one of Stefan Mertin's
13x13 tournaments (I think it was 13x13) and he believes that
GNU Go is much stronger at that level.  But it is way too
slow to recommend. Evan Daniel started a game at level 18 and
stopped it at one point after GNU Go did not make a move
after 8 hours. I think that's the highest level that's been
tried.