Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: improve separation of similarly-valued moves

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: improve separation of similarly-valued moves
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 02:15:14 +0300

Arend Bayer wrote:
> I actually haven't thought about the problem how hard it would be to
> compute the exact move probabilities in our current scheme, but it
> should be doable. If nothing else, a Monte Carlo-approach would work
> well enough (i.e. simulating the decision for 1000 gg_rand()s).

It must be quite simple, as long as we can tweak a new mode into
engine in which it would _not_ apply random shifts to move values,
but instead would report the scales of those shifts to the caller.
I haven't looked at the exact math involved, but I'm sure it can
be done strictly with theory of probability, not involving any
statistical methods of probability assessment.

Paul