Re: [gnugo-devel] GnuGo / CGoban breakage with handicap > 9

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GnuGo / CGoban breakage with handicap > 9
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 00:03:28 +0200

Stuart Yeates wrote:
> When I set a handicap of greater than 9 in CGoban for a game in which
> GnuGo is a player CGoban crashes and I get the message:
>
> "GNU Go: Sorry, error from gmp client"
>
> CGoban permits handicaps on 0-27 (but not "" for no handicap, but that's
> another issue), but GnuGo appears to only understand 0-9.

GMP is an outdated protocol and I believe no one of current developers
really understand it.  To the best of my knowledge, it is impossible to
use free-placement handicap over GMP.

I suggest that you try a newer client that uses GTP.  For instance, you
can try glGo, JaGo, Quarry (http://home.gna.org/quarry/ --- I'm the author
;-) or just google for something like "free gtp +go client".

Paul