[gnugo-devel] Running GnuGo with an IRC bot

From: Steve Kroon
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Running GnuGo with an IRC bot
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 10:28:13 +0000 (UTC)

Hi there.

I am trying to set up an IRC bot where the channel can play against GnuGo,
using roughly the following format:

Player1> !bot start
Bot> Starting GnuGo...
Bot> <Outputs board>
<Players discuss move>
Player2>!bot move d4
Bot> <Outputs board after GnuGo has responded>

etc. etc.

To do this, I need to know how to send data to and receive data from
GnuGo.  I've tried using pipes (I'm using linux), and I can type my moves
in on the console, and GnuGo can pipe my moves out into a file, but I
cannot pipe moves into GnuGo.

My understanding is that my IRC Bot will have to implement (at least part
of) GTP.  If so, can you point me to a webpage or similar which explains
(a) how to connect to GnuGo with GTP, and (b) gives more details on GTP's
list of commands.

Thanks,
--
Steve Kroon (address@hidden)
Department of Statistics

(084) 458-8062

"Never before have I felt so good about losing. Go is great."
-Tristen Taylor