Re: [gnugo-devel] Question about attack/defense command

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Question about attack/defense command
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 14:00:35 +0300

Uwe Auerswald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can the attack/defense command be used for solving life/death puzzles?
>
> For example, in such positions I tried "attack b2" (b2 is a stone of the
> chain to be killed), but only "0" was returned.
> In those puzzles ca. 5 - 6 moves were needed to put the attacked chain
> into atari.

No, GNU Go will try to attack/defend strings (not dragons) tactically.
In other words, it will try to capture/prevent capturing only and not
care about eyes and such.  Also, in tactical reading, strings with 5
liberties are counted alive automatically.

Life-and-death reading can be invoked using owl_attack/owl_defend
commands.  `Owl' is the name of GNU Go life-and-death module.

Paul