[gnugo-devel] Handicap stones on 12x12

From: Hellwig . Geisse
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Handicap stones on 12x12
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 15:22:38 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

I just discovered a small discrepancy between the GTP
specification of how handicap stones should be placed on
a 12x12 board ("For boards smaller than 13x13, the edge
stones are placed on the third line instead of on the
fourth line.") and its implementation in GNU Go (at least
in the current distribution version 3.6 - I don't know
if that's also the case with the CVS version). In GNU Go
3.6, these handicap stones are placed on the fourth line,
as is also explained in the comment to function
place_fixed_handicap() in module engine/handicap.c:
"As for odd-sized boards, the edge stones are moved
to the fourth line for boards larger than 11x11".

So I'm wondering what the 'correct' placement of these
stones on a 12x12 board would be.

Regards,
Hellwig