[gnugo-devel] A lot of questions

From: Łukasz Lew
Subject: [gnugo-devel] A lot of questions
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:02:38 +0200

Hi,

For some time I accumulated questions and remarks about Gnu Go and I
send them now..
I use GnuGo 3.6 on Debian.

1. Why trymove(PASS) is not a legal operation?
2. I use GnuGo engine for MC simulations and in random games
   both the constants: MAX_STRINGS and MAXSTACK are too small for me.
   Is it possible to increase them in gnugo?
3. When I increase those constants too much I sometimes get
spontaneous segfaults.
   Is it known issue? Can this be fixed?
4. What do You think about incremental bookkeeping information about
legality of moves?
   I.e. to maintain an array of bools with false meaning that move is illegal.
   This would avoid a repetitive checking of legality of illegal moves.
5. Why there is separate play_move and trymove, is only for historical reasons?
   Why wouldn't it be good to  replace it by single function and
   enhance store_board with stack handling?
6. Why superko isn't implemented?

The most important for me is 3.
I implemented 4. in dirty way so it isn't very difficult.

I would like You to ask about the Gnu licence. Maybe You know the answer.
I would like to publish OCaml interface to libboard on any licence,
simultaneously
keeping the possibility of publishing a code using this interface
without being forced to make it GNU.
Do You have idea is it possible?

Kid Regards,
Lukasz Lew