Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 00:47:18 +0200

Harry Hutchins wrote:
> I recently downloaded GNU Go and tried it out.
>
> It is a strong player compared to some other Go programs I have
> encountered, but it is extremely weak at counting the sscore.  It does
> not calculate scores accurately, apparently unaware that various
> stones or groups are dead.

GNU Go is quite good both at figuring out life and death in a finished
game and counting the score.

> Perhaps I am using it incorrectly.

Probably, or somewhat more likely whatever program you're using as
interface to GNU Go is not taking full advantage of its capabilities.

Please tell us more about what interface you're using.

The thread starting with
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnugo-devel/2005-11/msg00006.html
might possibly be helpful.

/Gunnar