Re: [gnugo-devel] interfacing to gnugo

From: alain Baeckeroot
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] interfacing to gnugo
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:28:09 +0200

Hi

This sounds very interesting.
I can answer the easy questions, and let the hard ones for the gurus ;-)

Le dimanche 15 avril 2007 10:32, Bjørn Magnus Mathisen a écrit :
> hi
>
> I'm writing a program that interfaces against gnugo, it does this by
> including gnugo.h.
> this is a neuroevolution program that plays ANNs against gnugo,
>

> My questions however is: Is gnugo deterministic intra run with my
> static seed, and is it deterministic across runs?
Yes. With the same seed gnugo will always give the same move/game.
On command line it is the --seed 12345 parameter

> And is there a way i can calculate the maximum and minimum output of
> the gnugo_estimate_score
> function so that i can normalize it? :)
Hmm not sure i understand. The score can vary from -361 to +361 +/- komi and
prisonners ;-)
Gnugo uses optimistic_score (win all) and pessimistic_score (lose all).
It always considers the score from its color point of vue (positive
is win)

But don't forget gnugo is "sometimes" just wrong at life and death...
(especially for groups floating in the center and surrounded at some
 distance)

> This is part of my master thesis in AI, please feel free to send me
> questions if you are interested in more details,
> but the thesis will (hopefully) be published this spring :)
I'll wait for the publication. Go on :)

Regards
Alain