Re: [gnugo-devel] montecarlo

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] montecarlo
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 23:42:07 +0200

Wolfgang wrote:
> The april edition of "Pour la Science" (which is the french version of
> Scientific American) has an article on MonteCarlo methods for go programming.
> i thought a little about it, and dont see how this can work.

It does, see also Heikki's reply that didn't include you as receiver but
can be found at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnugo-devel/2007-05/msg00012.html

> However they claim to have some success, in particular for 9x9 games.
> who knows more about that ?

80% or so of the messages to the computer-go mailing list over the last
year have been about Monte-Carlo go, so pretty much anybody doing
computer go seriously knows quite a bit about it.

> Is this a subject one should look into ?

Yes.

> what do people think ?

It's an enormously big deal and we have only seen the beginning so far.
GNU Go has no such code integrated in the distribution yet but there's
work going on, see http://trac.gnugo.org/gnugo/ticket/150 and the
MonteGNU entry at http://cgos.boardspace.net/9x9/standings.html

/Gunnar