[gnugo-devel] montecarlogo

From: Wolfgang Manner
Subject: [gnugo-devel] montecarlogo
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:45:04 +0200

hello
I downloaded CrazyStone-0006-7x7 . The program is a gtp machine.
Unfortunately it doesnt know all the commands, in particular
it does not know loadsgf nor get/set_random_seed
They claim that they can
play the best 7x7 game always. They also say they have beaten a
professional. So I played a few games. here are a few remarks
and I append the games.

1. It plays much better than gnugo, but i think one could write
a special fuseki module for 7x7 and then gnugo might play just as
well or maybe better ?

2. Counting
I am counting "Chinese style" and I get the impression they do the
same. Towards the end the program is usually playing meaningless
moves, which dont harm if you count "chinese", but if you play
japanese rules, they would cost points and CrazyStone would lose.

3. Komi
They say the correct komi is nine. If you dont set it explicitly
you get 6.5. I thought this might be important for their move
statistics, but i dont get that impression.

4. game 1
The first game I played was CrazyStone vs CrazyStone.
I dont know, if you get the optimum game for both sides this way.
But I played a few variations and could not improve the result.
So maybe this is it. However the log tells you that the first
26 moves are book moves. I guess these are moves hard wired in a
data base. Afterwards both sides play more or less meaningless
moves.

5. game 2
So mow I play Black. I win 10 points. Moreover I play a pretty bad
game.

6. game 3
i play again black and win 6 points.
7. game 4
here CrazyStone plays a lot better. (or i play worse) It ends as a draw

8. game 5
Now I play white. I had a hell of a time to find a winning startegy.
Eventually I managed to win by 9 points. I do not imagine that I played
good moves, the whole thing looks like pure hamete to me. It would be
nice to know where black lost the game, but this goes beyond my
competence. I can see quite a few doubtful moves, but would not dare
to say what it should have played instead.

Conclusion
The book moves played by CrazyStone seem to be correct.
The moves it plays "in thinking mode" rank from
very good to bad. The quality of the game varies very much,
depending on which random number you get. Nevertheless it seems
to avoid the really bad moves which gnugo plays from time to time.
There is no doubt this is not " THE BEST "   7x7 game.
But there is hope

wolfgang

game 1

(;FF[4]GM[1]
SZ[7]
PW[CrazyStone-0006]
PB[CrazyStone-0006]
DT[2007-05-20]
KM[9]RU[Chinese]
;B[dd]
;W[dc]
;B[ec]
;W[cd]
;B[de]
;W[cb]
;B[db]
;W[cc]
;B[ce]
;W[eb]
;B[fb]
;W[da]
;B[fc]
;W[be]
;B[bf]
;W[bd]
;B[af]
;W[fa]
;B[ae]
;W[gb]
;B[ad]
;W[ac]
;B[fe]
;W[ea]
;B[gc]
;W[ga] C[# sofar all book moves]
;B[cf] C[# meaningless]
;W[bb] C[# crazy]
;B[ee] C[# with chinese rules we dont worry]
;W[ef]
;B[gf]
;W[ab]
;B[dg]