Re: [gnugo-devel] Helping with the gnu go project, Xi Tao

From: Petri Pitkanen
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Helping with the gnu go project, Xi Tao
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 08:59:23 +0300

I do doubt that it would make engine any stronger but please do try if you like. I once tried something like that but did not help the engine at all. The GG evaluation is not really suoted to tree search. It gives values to moves not to boards situations. And  good evaluation function for go are hard to come by.

 Basically all good programs now are Monte Carlo Tree Search programs. Solves the evaluation problem nicely.

So if someone is still interested on improving gnugo the only thing to do would be trying out using gnugo knowledge to bias MCTS. You could experiment with pachi using GG to give a prior for search  or something like that.

Petri