Re: Do not allow OpenID created elsewhere, just support your own OpenID

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Do not allow OpenID created elsewhere, just support your own OpenID service.
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:19:25 +0200

Antenore Gatta wrote:
> Obviously in the good and bad meaning of the new:
> http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/23/1259229&from=rss

> "MySpace has joined a coalition of other big-name e-services in support
> of OpenID.
[...]
> Such services already signed up include: Google's Blogger, Wordpress,
> AOL, Yahoo, Vox, LiveJournal, and others.*

> "Initially support is to use MySpace OpenIDs as providers only — i.e. you
> cannot logon to MySpace with an OpenID created elsewhere, but that policy
> will change in the future.

It is fun to know how they do not allow OpenID created elsewhere.

Maybe their goal is to get a market position first, or maybe they want to
avoid the security risks involved when you allow external OpenID providers,
or maybe both.

Being paranoid you could read:
  "We want to control the authentication mechanism to every Internet webapp".

  Ironic:  I am sure that would be a good business.

Perhaps, GNU Herds could offer an OpenID interface to its current
authentication mechanism later?

I am integrating the pledges and volunteers features; I hope upload it to
gnuherds.org in two weeks.