Re: GNU Herds mockup

From: Antenore Gatta
Subject: Re: GNU Herds mockup
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 08:01:22 +0200

First of all thanks a lot, these kind of comments are not just useful, but indeed needed!

Then my two cents about your comment:

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
Davi Leal wrote:

Let us know any bug, comment, etc. The more critical the better!

See my attached screenshot. Everything I have covered in green should not be shown, either where it is now, or at all.

Don't put the list of languages at the top, but them at the bottom.

I agree with almost everything you say, but language bar there is really nice IMHO. Just it's not functional if we will have too many languages...

Put the AGPL logo at the bottom.

I agree, bottom right, it balance well with logo.

Remove the login box entirely -- instead, prompt the user to login when it is needed.

I agree 100% several sites are doing this, asking to login only when the user needs to access/modify sensible data. It's less annoying and it makes people less worried about a registration process.

Do not have four links for registration. Do not have one. When the user needs to register, let them register, and give them LESS options, not more.

Agree... As above.

The menu on the side should be along the bottom.

Can you provide an example? I don't understand this point.

The email contact should be along the bottom of the page, not the content.

I think it's a good idea, in this way at any moment the user can make in contact with us.

If there are no job offers, don't show any.

Yes and not... I'd rather prefer to have always job offers... One day we will have always something to show... Anyway can you please explain better which is the point.

If there are no volunteer position don't show any.

As above...

The site gives NO clue as to what it is or why it exists.

Not really!!! Go to the home page and read... ;-)

Well, it can be improved and I agree that we should insert an "About us" section, but it's not so bad at the moment, isn't it?

What is a 'free software association' -- explain in terms people will understand.

Yes, but remember that who comes to gnuherds is someone who know enough well this words... It's out of our scope to explain to people what is the free software. Anyway it can always be improved.

Positive feedback:

http://gnuherds.org/themes/red_Danijel/images/donations.png

These icons are nice -- why aren't they on your homepage?