gnulib-tool-py

Re: [gnulib-tool-py] Getting lists of files and join command

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: [gnulib-tool-py] Getting lists of files and join command
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 11:42:56 +0200

Hi Dmitriy,

> I first need to understand deeper how we get list of files to
> operate with. Could you, please, explain which files we need to remove,
> which update and which to add? I've thought I've understand from the
> comments what I need to do, but I get wrong results.

We have a list of old_files: This is the argument to the gl_FILES macro
in the gnulib-cache.m4. It's the list of files that were created by the
previous run of gnulib-tool (with module descriptions that don't necessarily
exist any more on disk).

We have a list of new_files: This is what gnulib-tool can compute, based
on the file list of every module in the transitive closure of the specified
module list. (func_modules_to_filelist_separately).

An element of old_files that is not in new_files needs to be removed.
An element of new_files that is not in old_files needs to be added.
An element of old_files that is also in new_files is called an "update".

> This 'join' command confuses me as usual.

You can use 'join' interactively with (sorted) input files to see how
it operates. Cf.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnulib-tool-py/2012-07/msg00016.html

Bruno