[Gnumed-devel] Re: infrastructure - schema/client version

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: infrastructure - schema/client version
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:11:23 +0200

>> 1) on-site schema version management
>>  - how to make sure we have the right table structure
> I believe the idea (Horst's) was to store the client on the
> server. If a client finds it that it is not the right version,
> it reloads itself from the database.

> The distributed client could then be a single bootstrap script.

Well, yes and no. Obviously, the manually distributed
bootstrap loader would be just a really dumb stage 1 loader
which only knows how to download the stage 2 loader from the
database which in turn downloads the new client. Yet the 2nd
stage loader needs to verify that the locally available
database schema is appropriate for the new version of the
client (one of the reasons why there's a stage 2 loader in the
first place). This is what I was talking about. We need a
script that can verify a preinstalled database layout.

It shouldn't be hard to do: read out the structure of a known
good setup, store that and compare it to the locally available
layout.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346