Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Drug database/browser/prescription design

From: richard terry
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Drug database/browser/prescription design
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:40:27 +1000

> Hi,
>
> I'm just starting to plan the AMIS german drug browser. There are some
> questions left open by the documentaion/code I have seen until now.
> First I will try to summarize what I have found so far:
>
> 1. GUI :
> - There is a notebook-page module to browse the whole drug
> database ('pharmaceutical reference browser') and display all information
> available about a certain drug.
> - In the prescription dialogue, pharmaceutical data should be presented in
> a way facilitating prescription. This might include processing of
> regulatory information (positive lists etc.).
>
> 2. Backend
> - gmdrug.sql
>   medical and regulatory data
>
> Questions :
> 1. What is the supposed relation of the pharmaceutical
> reference browser to the prescription dialogue ?

There need be no relationship but you could prescribe from the full product
information, or view full product information from the prescription dialog.

I attatch three png files from an actual patient file in my vb client;

Script_1png shows the prescription dialog having prescribe a medication. Note
the interactions which show underneath (double clicking on this brings up a
full version). Note the list of medications prescribed this consulation.
script_briefPI.png shows a summary of the product,  useful when you don't
want to look up a detailed description. This comes up overlaying the
prescription dialog when  you click on the MIMS_PI button.
fullproductinto.png is equivalent to the bottom tab in the gnumed client (but
here a free standing vb app) which displays the full product information.

 The prescription dialog contains

> 2. The documentation of the prescription dialogue
> (gnumed/html/developers-manual/prescriptiondialogue.html) mentions
> abundant use of popup windows. I learned that popups are thought to be a
> bad thing (although I don't quite understand why) and should be avoided.

The philosopy behind minmising popups is as follows. One can usually design
in a single plane, which allows your brain to take in a number of related
segments of a program without being distracted by multiple levels of modal
windows, each with their need to click an ok or cancel button to get out of
them.

> IMHO the prescription dialogue already present in GnuMed
> (gmGP_Prescriptions.py) neither holds all the infomation mentioned in the
> documentaion nor is there enough space to implement all the controls
> needed. Is it possible to implement this dialogue as an popup window
> started from gmGP_Prescriptions.py ?

I would have thought we could link from the prescription dialog automatically
to the tab by either a button/pop up right mouse menu option when the drug is
hightlighted on the list or both

> 3. If the backend definition for the drug database does not match the
> specification of some regionally available database, should the current
> definition made more general to match it or should it be customized to the
> special requirements ?

I think you will find that for at least a number of years that there will be
regional differences in drug database design/needs. Eg in our country we have
an authority system where we need specific pieces of information. All the
different countries have differerent trade/brand names. Some countries have
drugs not available in others. For gnumed to be functional it must reflect
the regional requirements and be easily maintainable. Hence each country with
requirements must have individual coding in this section. There is no reason
why countries without these requirements which use say a minimal WHO list of
drugs pharmacopoea can't all use a single generic WHO drug database tab/list
etc.

Regards

Richard