Re: [Gnumed-devel] GnuMed drug browser/prescription writer

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GnuMed drug browser/prescription writer
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:35:48 +0200

> Then, we write a class accessing drug information with the  regulation bit
> implemented as a pure virtual function.
Do you mean the unimplemented virtual functions to be a
general pipe-like thing or rather specific methods ? The
latter would need regulations that can be correlated quite
closely between countries and I doubt that will work.

Example A, general virtual function:

regulation_driver.can_prescribe(
    aCountry = "de",
    aDrug = curr_drug,
    aPatient = curr_pat)

Where in can_prescribe() one handles all the different things
that influence that decision.

Example B, specific virtual function:

regulation_driver.pat_can_get_veterans_meds(aPatient)

To really come to a definite conclusion here we probably need
to implement two different cases (say, DE and AU), analyze
our findings and go back from there generalizing where we
should have. If people are very good at doing this mentally,
good luck, but that would need someone knowing both systems. I
don't. Else it would need two people writing down things very
carefully so they can compare notes. And what else does _this_
amount to than actually implementing two prototypes from which
conclusions will be drawn ?

OTOH we can just start with the simple case of prescribing a
"normal" drug to a "normal" patient and expand from there.
This approach _will_ require massive amounts of refactoring
(which I am fine with).

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346